Follow Me

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quick Medical Update aka I'm Having Surgery Tomorrow

So, I don't remember what I talked about on my last medical update, and it's 11PM, and I'm in no mood to read through past blog posts right now.

Here's what's going on......

Turns out that the disc that is between my L4 and L5 is herniated.  I knew that.  What I didn't know what that it was cutting off my spinal cord.  The disc above that one is almost just as bad.  Fortunately, it's still a couple of millimeters away from the cord at this point.  This explains the loss of bowel control and the inability to walk over the last three months.  In fact, for the last three days, I have had problems walking.  I have been stumbling and collapsing worse than any other time since this ordeal started.

Long story short,  I'm having spinal surgery tomorrow.  I have an excellent surgeon.  When Jennifer Grey injured her back on 'Dancing With the Stars', she flew to Scottsdale, AZ, after filming to see my doctor.  He is the official surgeon for the Phoenix Suns, the Phoenix Coyotes, and a number of other NBA teams.  I am in good hands.

I have, for obvious reasons, been feeling despondent in recent weeks.  I have a long, and motionless, recovery ahead of me.  For the next three to four weeks, per doctor's orders, I am to lie on my back in bed.  No walking.  No driving.

Maybe I'll start writing again.  I don't know.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you for the update. I hope everything goes well and we start hearing from you again! Thinking of you!

Rebecca said...

Good luck Adam! My dad had a herniated disc and had surgery on it too. It takes a long time to recover but he's a lot better! Glad you've finally found a cure to all this mess!

stoma said...

I work in Neurosurgery in los angeles. The good news is your spinal cord actually doesn't extend down that far (ends around L1) This is important because below that are nerve roots which, unlike the spinal cord, can recover from even chronic compression. Despite its daunting image, this is a fairly routine surgery with very successful results.
You will likely feel the energy return to your body soon after surgery and, despite a little incisional discomfort, should experience considerable recovery. Good luck :)