Follow Me

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"Please Don't Go. We'll Eat You Up. We Love You So."

Earlier today, Maurice Sendak passed away, at the age of 83.  Sendak was the author of the ever-popular children's book 'Where The Wild Things Are'.

As a child, I was never allowed to read the book.  I don't know why.  Many times, random things would be forbidden, for reasons unknown to me.  Maybe my mother thought that the "wild things" were demonic.  She thought that of everything else, so why not this?



I read 'Where The Wild Things Are' to my daughter a couple of years ago.  It was the first time either of us had seen the story.  It was one of the most heartwarming experiences of my lifetime.  At the age of 34, I found the book to be profoundly influential.  I am glad that I got to know Sendak's work and am able to pass it on to my children.

In this 2010 interview, Sendak reflects upon his life.  It's incredibly touching and insightful.  He lived a full life, and had very few, if any, regrets.



It's sad to see him go.  The world is a better place for knowing him.

"Please don't go.  We'll eat you up.  We love you so."

Thank you, Maurice.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

This has made me so sad! It's so odd to me that someone I never actually knew could affect me so much, but it has. I have cried about his death and have been sad ever since. I'm so glad we have his books and wonderful interviews (like the Stephen Colbert one) to remind us of what's important in life.