Follow Me

Monday, January 11, 2010

Change The Channel In 2010

I am a person that never, I mean NEVER, make New Year resolutions. To me, they are pointless. They're a waste of time, and they always end up being broken. This year, however, I have decided to make one. I'm changing the channel.

It's a simple concept. If I am sitting on the couch watching television, I am not going to sit through a show that I have no interest in watching. I am going to pick up the remote and change the channel. Why aren't I doing that with my life? Why do I insist on "sitting on the couch" and letting other people and events dictate how my life is going to be lived? So, from now on, I'm changing the channel.

I have already removed certain contacts from Facebook. Why am I still wanting to be friends with people I have nothing in common with? Why do I bother when it comes to people that think they're better than me and my family? CLICK.

I have been sitting back for way too long and letting politics as usual happen in my community. Between Maricopa County, the City of Phoenix and the State of Arizona, there is always a need for a Democratic voice and an activist in the state. I have spent too many years on my ass as a citizen complaining about the Sheriff, City Council members and Governors as time has gone by. CLICK.

The Greater Phoenix area has more LGBT citizens than San Francisco, but a very fractured LGBT "community". Part of the reason why Arizona is such a "Red" state is because the gay community in the Phoenix area is not cohesive. I want to help change that. I want to help bring the community together. I am not sure how. Hell, at this point, I not sure if that is even a possibility. I have been a part of what has been considered the LGBT community in the Phoenix area for the better part of 14 years, and it has been downright embarrassing. The only time anyone communicates with each other is Pride. Lesbians distance themselves from the gay community. Even the gay community is split by the bar or club that is frequented by the individual in question. Leathers hang only with leathers. Bears with bears. Club kids with club kids. CLICK.

When I was first diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome, I was very discouraged at the lack of visible support in the state of Arizona. The website for the Tourette Syndrome Association Arizona Chapter was more than a year behind. It had no contact information. It had no information for support groups or online support. I found myself getting depressed pretty quickly because I felt alone in my fight. I am so thankful that I found Karen Miller. She almost singlehandedly has been keeping a number of local Tourette's support groups up and running. She not only has a group for young adults, but also one for children and for mothers of children with TS.

I don't ever want to see someone else in the same situation I was when I was first diagnosed with Tourette's. Lost, agitated and feeling alone is no way to start a lifelong journey with a neurological disorder. I am going to become an advocate for those with TS. I am going to blog about this as much as I possibly can. I am going to assist Karen with the support group with as much help as she needs. CLICK.

I am going to do the same with my PTSD. I have a unique perspective on it. Mine was a result of childhood abuse. I am not a veteran. I am not a casualty of war. I am a casualty of brainwashed parents.

That being said, let me make one thing clear. I am not, and have never been anti-God or anti-religion. I admire people that have a belief system or a level of faith that has role in their life. It is those people that make God such a central focus in their life that it trumps all other ways of thinking. They can't think for themselves. It's "God's way or no way". That is the problem I have with Jehovah's Witnesses. That is why I am no longer one. There are tens of thousands of people that make the decision to leave the church each year. Doing so, they are abandoned by their families and friends. I will be a voice for them as well. CLICK.

Change the channel in your life. Whether it be recycling your soda cans, or losing a couple of extra pounds. Donate some time at the dog shelter. Blog. Get off your ass and grab that remote.

0 comments: