Follow Me

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Haiti And A Personal " Hallelujah"

I didn't get a chance to see the telethon for Haiti last night. We went out to dinner and didn't get home until after it was over. This evening, I caught a video of Justin Timberlake and Matt Morris' performance of 'Hallelujah' from the program. It made me cry.

I must admit, for as long as I can remember, 'Hallelujah' has been one of my favorite songs. It is, in my opinion, an example of the perfect song. Leonard Cohen put lyric to melody as if he were divinely inspired. It can easily fit into a number of scenarios: love, betrayal, loss and hope.

Hallelujah roughly translates to "thank" or "praise God" in Hebrew. When seeing this performance, it made me make a quick list of all of the thing that I held dear that I could go to sleep tonight and say a personal "Hallelujah" for. Although, I don't believe in God in the traditional sense, per se, I am still mindful of what I have and what I could have easily lost.

With that in mind, make a donation to helpforhaitinow.org, or make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross by texting the word Haiti to 90999. A charge for $10 will appear on your phone bill next month. Conditions are getting desperate. Anything you can do will help.

0 comments: