Follow Me

Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Most Difficult Four And A Half Minutes Of Video You'll See Today

This is Jonah.

This is a video that he posted on YouTube in August.

He's entering eighth grade this year.

He has been continually bullied since the first grade.



Parents, it is of the utmost importance that you have an active role in your child's life.  There are hundreds of thousands of children just like Jonah.  Get involved.  Talk to school administrators.  Petition the school board for tougher regulations on bullying.  This isn't just an issue with gay kids.  Just last month, a 10 year old Illinois girl committed suicide after bullies continually taunted her; calling her "fat" and "ugly".

If your kid is the subject of bullying, get them into a structured therapy program.  As someone that was preyed upon regularly for more than a decade by their schoolmates, I can tell you that the trauma has long term effects.  The depression and lack of self worth last many times well into adulthood.  Therapy helps to break the cycle of being the victim.

Lastly, if you are reading this, do me a personal favor:  go to the YouTube link for Jonah's video and leave him a message of encouragement.  He needs a friend right now.  

1 comments:

Laura J. said...


Jonah, You are a beautiful young man. You are brave and obviously smart. I’m glad you are going to stick around because I know it will get better for you. I’m sorry you are going through this and I know it hurts….. I am who I am today partly because of bullies. I learned how not to treat people and I truly like who I am in spite of their words because I KNOW that they didn‘t have a clue what they were talking about…. I know that now; I didn’t know it then. Please hear me Jonah, THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! You have empathy and compassion and that will take you far in life….. Those that are hurting you may someday see the hurt they have caused you and then again, maybe not. Someday you might be able to find it in your heart to forgive them because of their IGNORANCE. BUT YOU Jonah are strong, I can see it. You are BRAVE… It shows. Don’t give up because the world NEEDS young men like YOU! I am proud of you for making this video and posting it. VERY PROUD that you are standing up and making the issue of being bullied noticed. You stand TALL and HONORABLE amongst those bullies and YOU will be the one shining in the end. It WILL end and YOU WILL BE OK! You have my heart and prayers with you every day from now on………