Follow Me

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cool New Music - One eskimO 'Kandi"

Came across a new band on mtvU a couple of days ago. I have been watching that channel quite a bit recently. Seems like they play a lot of cool, up and coming indie bands and it is nothing but music videos 24/7. A video came on for 'Kandi', and I instantly fell in love with the song.

The sound was reminiscent of Gorillaz, but with almost a British Trip Hop 90s vibe to it. Great production quality and use of sampling(Their album itself is produced by Rollo from the group Faithless). It wasn't until I was on Youtube earlier today and saw the original video to the song that I realized how much like Gorillaz they really were. They're a concept band. Every member of the band is represented by a cartoon character. They don't go all out with the idea like Gorillaz did, but they do a good job at using their characters to tell a story in their videos.

I've heard a few tracks from the rest of the album, and it is some pretty good stuff. I would recommend it. I'll probably get it from ITunes myself. The album, entitled One eskimO, released September 22, and an animated series based on their animated characters(The Adventures of One Eskimo), is scheduled to debut on the BBC early next year. I have posted copies of both versions of their 'Kandi' video, with and without the animation. Enjoy:



0 comments: