Follow Me

Friday, December 18, 2009

What English Sounds Like To Foreigners

There is a video floating around the internet at the moment that has gone viral in the last couple of days. It is an Italian music video from 1972 that is actually titled 'Prisencolinensinainciusol', but has appropriately been renamed 'What English Sounds Like To Foreigners'.

The composer of this song intentionally wanted to write a song with English words that made no sense, to show what the typical rock/pop song sounded like to people outside the United States. I must say, he did a fantastic job. Thanks to the magic of the internet, we have the clip today:



It reminds me of a story my mother told me a few years ago. She was on vacation in Russia. She said every 10 minutes on the radio, Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl came on. Everywhere you went, girls would be singing that song in broken English. Of course, they had no idea what the words meant or what they were even saying. The song just sounded cool. For those of you that doubt that it's really English being spoken in this song, I happened to find a list of the lyrics. They are 95% English. Complete gibberish, but English nonetheless:

here it goes:

We been sayin in the shoes raw hole in bleen the hole rape maybe it the color boss dime

Writ cheese and I'm a get cold baby sustain yeeeeeah boobs Joe Wowooah!

We been sayin in the shoes raw hole in bleen the hole rape maybe it the color boss dime

Whether its the same and ain't you the copy of steam of you never traveled knobber judge a gob diva shehjean

You the gobbernaught juice and i pray for not sure a how a hubba just get a globe a no time

All we did was just stand and light the shoes a globa man you the

Because to the match caught in the frang of yours

All the time baby

My eyes lie sense-lick let me goose the poor with diesel. EYES!

You can call me say-the-what crazy call me next to that chooser. Alright!

My eyes lied senseless and the golds will go with bees well. Eyes!

Bees in all the god choose well. Alright.

Well all she know sleepin in the gibbon the seein 'till im just a

Normal joff hobo have a contained like free as to go.

We been seein in the center of the shoes a come and bend cause there's too many cars a double four a why a cry a can't stand.

My eyes might chance land and hips will go with blazer. Eyezzz.

You a car a maidden say what. Freezing common ace in at twos on alright.

You the ace you don't feel as get up a dawn as people the dance a you like pick your own.

My eyes lied senseless and I guess they go with bees well. Eyes.

You can call me say-the-what freezing call me next to that two song. Alright!

You the ace you dont feel as get up a dawn as people the dance you like pickin your own.

I SMELL A GRAMMY.....

0 comments: