Follow Me

Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Surreal Experience...To Say The Least

Tonight I had the pleasure of having dinner with a local Tourette's Syndrome support group. I must say, I was quite nervous when I was invited. The thought of eight of us possibly setting each other off was making me start to tic this afternoon. It has happened to me before at my neurologist's office, and I had just envisioned "Tic Fest 2009".

When I arrived at the restaurant, the first person I met was Jarrett. No tics. Then Dana. Still no tics. It was almost like they had a calming effect on me.

As the night progressed, I met Matt, Henry, Brandon, and Bobby. As I started to talk to them all, it became clear that I was not alone in my struggles with TS. Hearing each one of their stories, I recognized my own history in each one of theirs; histories of depression or anxiety, lists of prescriptions, job histories, and even common daily routines. These people UNDERSTOOD me, and I understood them.

Tonight, I think I started some true friendships. I found people that truly cared about my past and were concerned about my future. When they asked me how I was doing, they really wanted to know. We all share a bond that is more than those found with a coworker or a neighbor. We have something in common with each other that even our partners cannot say that they do. That's a bit surreal to me. A little creepy, in fact.

I really want to thank everyone for coming tonight, and making this an experience I will never forget. I also want to thank Karen for "finding" us in a way and getting us all together. You're the "den mother" to our troop, and, without you, we never would have found each other.

Also, for those of you reading that weren't there, HUGE recommendation to Z'Tejas Grill in Scottsdale Fashion Square. Amazing service (I've never seen a restaurant split a check to the point where they split chips and salsa 12 ways.) Great food. Very accommodating. Would definitely suggest another night out there again.

Oh and....HANSON....REALLY?!?!?