Follow Me

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Canadians Vote Transgender Rocker "Sexiest Canadian Man"

JMG pointed me to a blog post at After Ellen a few days back about a recent poll conducted by Chart Attack, Canada's premier music magazine. Lucas Silveira, the openly transgender lead singer of the rock band The Cliks, became the first trangendered man to win their annual "Throw Your Underwear Award Male" (Sexiest Canadian Man)award.

Lucas received 38% of the votes, narrowly beating out Deryck Whibley of Sum 41(Avril Lavigne's ex husband), who received 34% of the vote.



When asked about taking hormones to complete the transition, Lucas says that he was disappointed at first to realize that he wasn't going to be able to take them because of the effect it was going to have on his voice. As a singer, it would have the same effect as puberty for roughly two and a half years. With touring and recording, it wasn't an option.

I started thinking about that because I feel like, not only am I a voice for the trans community going out into mainstream, but there are guys like me. We’re they guys who are truly in the middle. I’ve had top surgery, but I’m not doing T(estosterone). And to tell you the truth, I don’t know if I ever will. I feel very comfortable being where I am right now.


It's encouraging to see our neighbors to the North are so open minded. Would be nicer to see some of that progressive thinking on our side of the border. Here is a clip of Lucas singing one of my favorites:

0 comments: