Follow Me

Monday, February 15, 2010

Women Can Be Tools - According To VH1

After two seasons of the same old gimmick, Tool Academy has decided to try something new. They're going Co-ed. The VH1 Neanderthal magnet has it's first lesbian tool. Don't get me wrong, I'm not considering this "Must See TV" by any stretch of the imagination, but if there is nothing else on at 3 in the morning, and I mean NOTHING else, I might watch it.

The problem I know I'm going to have with this is that, knowing VH1, it's not going to do anything to bring about a positive stereotype for lesbians. It's going to be generalized and sensationalized. Look at their other shows. You're not going to get positive role models from Rock of Love, Flavor of Love or I Love New York. Then again, I don't think people are going to look back twenty years from now and see Tool Academy as the turning point in gay and lesbian culture as portrayed in the media.

OK. I'm off of my soapbox. If you would like to check out the first episode, which aired this last Sunday, I've embedded it below. Enjoy.

0 comments: