Follow Me

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Think I Just Had An Epiphany

Ten years ago, I became deathly ill. I had stomach cramps that would not end. I was constantly sick at my stomach, at all times of the day, regardless of what I ate. I had numerous CT scans, MRIs and blood panels taken. I was given a possible diagnosis, and in some cases a suspected terminal illness, every other week for a period of three months. I was told within that time that I was dieing from colon cancer, a brain tumor, and stomach cancer. All tests came back negative. My life was a never ending emotional roller coaster that year.

Doctors eventually told me that I had an allergy to gluten. It's a protein found in grains. When I continued to get sick after sticking to a gluten-free diet, they called it Irritable Bowel Syndrome. No medication was given. No other tests were done.

Fast forward nine years. January 2009. I start getting sick at my stomach when I am stressed out. Within a matter of two to three weeks, I get sick every time I go out to eat at a restaurant. To this day, I still do. This is not an exaggeration. Every single time I go out to eat, regardless of where I am or what I am eating, I get sick. Often, within minutes of leaving the restaurant. If food is delivered to my house, or if I pick it up and bring it home, I don't get sick, and I never get sick with home cooked meals.

Again, I went to the doctor last February. Was tested for numerous conditions. This time, nerve disorders. CT scans and more MRIs. A colonoscopy and an endoscope...my second of each in ten years. Nothing. Again, they suggested a gluten allergy. Again, I still got sick even on a gluten-free diet.

Here is where my "Aha" moment came in. If you've been reading my posts, I haven't left the house in more than a week...about ten days. I was relatively tic free for those ten days. Within a half hour of leaving the house today I was ticking like crazy. You would think I haven't taken my meds in days. My tics got so bad this afternoon I was even smacking the back of my head. That's rare for me. I started getting stomach cramps within 10 minutes of leaving the restaurant we had dinner at tonight. These cramps were so bad they brought me to my knees. I was sick and in pain until I returned to the car and my wife started driving again.

I know it's stress related, but I wonder if they're tics. There is such a thing as gut or bowel tics. They're rare, but they happen. During that time ten years ago, I can't recall having any other tics, but obviously I had Tourette's. I will have to ask my Neurologist when I see him next month, but, I wonder if this is related to my TS. If it is, it would all make sense. If it's just how my body deals with stress, Jesus Christ, I got to buy a stress ball or something. This is ridiculous.

0 comments: