Follow Me

Monday, April 16, 2012

2Pac Performs At Coachella?

You read that correctly.  Tupac Shakur performed last night at the Coachella Music Festival.

Sunday night's headliners were Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre.  When the festival lineup was announced, I thought it was an odd addition.  Coachella is generally known as an outdoor hipster convention.  I mean, last week saw the reunion of Mazzy Star.  The headlining acts on Saturday were Radiohead, Bon Iver, and The Shins.

Last night's set featured a half dozen guests, which could have very easily had sets of their own.  There were rumors that Nate Dogg would be performing in the form of a hologram.  I don't think anyone expected Pac.

I have watched this clip 7 or 8 times today.  Every time I see it, I get chills.  It's just....watch:

Oh, language is NSFW.  Duh.



Interacting with the crowd and with Snoop?  Obviously, Tupac was computer generated.  He was killed 16 years ago.  It's not like he could do a Mariah.  The company responsible for the hologram did such a good job, the result was dumbfounding.  The hologram even had his mannerisms down.  It was like he was there....alive again.

It never ceases to amaze me what is possible with technology.  Think about it.  If they can bring back one of rap's most beloved artists, what's next?  Video conferencing with holograms?  Maybe the ability to introduce your children to relatives that are no longer here?  Who knows...

I'm crossing my fingers that The Beatles will be headlining Coachella next year.  That would be cool.

0 comments: