Follow Me

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jacob Lusk: The One To Beat On 'American Idol'

As someone who gave up on 'American Idol' a few seasons ago, I had little faith in this season as a whole.  I must say though, I am impressed.  I have become an avid viewer for the first time since, perhaps, season two.  Not only has the switcharoo at the judges panel been a refreshing change, but I can actually count 5 or 6 singers out of the top 10 that have a legitimate chance of walking away with the whole thing.  And, believe it or not, if those 5 or 6 singers released a CD today, I would go out and buy it.

That being said, tonight, in my humble opinion, I saw the best 'Idol' performance by far of the season, and possibly the most memorable since Adam Lambert's Season 8 performance of 'Mad World'.  This week was "Motown Week", and Jacob Lusk sang Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell's 'You're All I Need To Get By'.  I must admit, when the season started, I didn't like Jacob that much.  I think it's because he didn't show his full potential until "Hollywood Week".  He was really holding himself back.

When Lusk comes out of his shell, watch out.  He's like a freight train with a microphone.  Nothing can stop this man.  He has a glorious voice....yes, I said glorious, and he isn't afraid to release it.  He reminds me of a young Luther Vandross, but not as reserved.  His voice has much more power behind it, with more vibrato.  And Jacob isn't afraid to be a diva.  Just look at how he gets into this song.  He's one part Luther, one part Diana Ross, and one part all Jacob Lusk.  I love this guy.  Just watch:



Whether he ends up being an "American Idol" or not, he has a long and successful music career ahead of him.  How could he not?  I think we're finally seeing the end of this program as a "karaoke contest", and having it come back to it's roots as a talent competition, like it was intended to be.  The first season had Kelly Clarkson, who ended up being a mildly successful artist outside of the show.  Then year after year they churned out crap after crap, to the point where 'Idol' stopped giving the winner of the season an original song to sing.  Last year's winner recorded a cover of a U2 song as their single.  I'm not kidding.

Maybe this year we're seeing 'Idol's Renaissance period.

2 comments:

kate said...

I have to respectfully disagree: it's going to be Casey Abrams all the way.

I just found you via Casey at "All I'm Saying" and when your answer was EXACTLY what I was going to say, I decided to stalk you. ;)

Stray said...

You are totally on the money. That little triplets section Jason put into this weeks performance is still making me grin days later!

I'm also enjoying watching James D - I live with someone with tourettes and I recognise that energy, and it's great that he has an awesome channel for all that extra dopamine!