Follow Me

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Phil Collins Announces His Retirement

It really saddens me to write this post.  It's quite depressing actually.  Not because of the announcement itself, but how he came across in announcing it.


Early Friday morning, Phil Collins officially called it quits in an interview with FHM Magazine.  Over the last couple of years, Collins has been dealing with a number of medical problems, including "hearing problems, a dislocated vertebrae, and nerve damage in his hand", brought on by 40+ years as a drummer.  He once disclosed that the only way he was able to continue playing the drums was by taping drumsticks to his hands.

The musician, who has sold over 150 million albums, thinks now is "a good time to stop", adding "I don't think anyone's going to miss me."  He continued in the interview,
"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'.  I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.  I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?"
Later, he added,
“It’s hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I’m sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that.”
Keep in mind, this is a man that had nine #1 singles, seven Grammy Awards, and an Academy Award as a solo artist.  That does not include any of the work that he did as a member of Genesis.   He also had more Billboard Top 40 hits than any other artist during the 1980s.

If these quotes were attributed to Tone Loc, or that guy that sang that 'Hot Hot Hot' song, I would understand that.  This is Phil Fucking Collins.  This is a man that would routinely sell out stadiums within minutes.  Hell, a character was created for him simply so NBC could get him on 'Miami Vice'.

It has been speculated that he has been battling depression for some time.  In the November 2010, Rolling Stone, Collins was quoted as saying,
"I sometimes think I’m going to write this Phil Collins character out of the story. Phil Collins will just disappear or be murdered in some hotel bedroom, and people will say, ‘What happened to Phil?’ And the answer will be, ‘He got murdered, but, yeah, anyway, let’s carry on.’ That kind of thing"
The rest of this post is going to be video heavy, but for an important reason.  First, I want to pay respect to a portion of Phil Collins' body of work.  Secondly, it seems that Collins himself feels as if he has nothing to offer the world.  To think that his music has become irrelevant or trivial is beyond absurd.  It's tragic when someone that is as influential as Mr. Collins looks at the music industry, and doesn't see the mark that he has made in it today.

For example, take a look at this brilliant live performance of 'Against All Odds' at Live Aid in 1985.  It's just Phil and a grand piano.  He has a little flub in the first verse, but otherwise spectacular.



Nineteen years later, The Postal Service covered the song for the 'Wicker Park' soundtrack.  They obviously put their spin on it, but it's clear that they're heavily influenced by, and are fans of Phil Collins.  It's one of the better covers I've heard in recent years, simply because of their take on the classic.



Here is, hands down, my favorite Phil Collins song ever.  In fact, it's my favorite duet of all time.  I have probably sung it myself on stage dozens of times.  'Separate Lives' was recorded with Marilyn Martin for the 'White Nights' soundtrack and reached number one in the U.S. in November of 1985.  It was later nominated for an Academy Award.  It was not written by Collins, but, looking back, would not have had the emotional impact it had if sung by anyone else.



Now this, is from Maroon 5's 2007 song 'Won't Go Home Without You'.  In my opinion, it's the perfect pop song...



The melody.  The chord progression.  That single piano note leading up to the chorus.  Perfection.  Notice any similarities?  I absolutely hear a Phil Collins influence.  I do in almost every one of their songs.  So to say, "I don't think anyone's going to miss me", is bullshit, in my opinion.

I'd miss you, Phil.  We all would.  Your music has always been an influence to me, whether I've tried to sing like you, or play the drums like you.  I'm sure I'm speaking for millions in the world in saying, "Thank you".  Thank you for giving us a lifetime of music to laugh to.  To cry to.  And to beat on our steering wheel to during the drum solo (you know the one).  You have impacted our lives much more than you'll ever know.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Those comments are depressing and if he doesn't feel the love from his fans then we've done something wrong! I have indeed beat on my steering wheel many times to Phil Collins songs. Separate Lives was a huge favorite of mine (as was that movie). Thanks for this Adam.

Casey said...

He sounds very, very sad. I hope those remarks were made objectively, rather than he really believes that no one would miss the individual.

His solo music is fantastic, BUT the last 10-15 years have not been great. It seemed to start with his work on the Disney movies and then continued a downward spiral when every radio release he had was a cover of a 50's song. If he was doing his own music, he'd demonstrate his relevancy. But the latest stuff is just as bad as Rod Stewart's covers of the Rat Pack.

Adam Black said...

For some reason, there was a rash of major influential musical artists that decided to do cover albums in the late 80s/early 90s. Just off the top of my head, I can think of Rod Stewart, Phil Collins, Cyndi Lauper, Van Morrison, Michael Bolton, Elvis Costello, Babyface, and Luther Vandross. I'm sure that there are more, if I sit here and think about it for a moment or two. With the lack of pop/adult contemporary music being released, it left the door wide open for the grunge movement to come in and take over. When it came to their careers, the above mentioned artists effectively slit their own throats.

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and the rest of the bands from the Seattle, Washington area set up camp in the industry and changed the face of commercial radio forever. Adult contemporary wouldn't find a resurgence for another 15 years. By then, a new audience would be listening, and the stars of the 80s and 90s would be forgotten.

Casey said...

I wonder if "kids these days" have the experience of discovering bands from the 80s like I did bands from the 60s and 70s on classic rock radio. I'd never heard Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith (the older stuff, obviously), Lynrd Skynrd, etc. on the radio when I was in my teens.

Of course, I grew up in Buttfuck, Idaho where the only radio station we got was 70s AM Gold, which explains my strong affinity for Anne Murray, John Denver and Neil Diamond.

Anonymous said...

I will miss you Phil Collins, your music spoke to me when I was going thru a very hard time. You will not be forgotten, and its funny I was jus saying to my friend hey why haven't we heard anything from Phil lately. Please no how much you influenced others with your fantastic music. Love ya Phil.
Kelly