Follow Me

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Songs That Get Under Your Skin, Part II

Recorded for the 2001 film 'Donnie Darko', this cover of the 1982 Tears for Fears hit 'Mad World', by Gary Jules, instantly, and forever, gets under your skin.

I remember watching the movie the first time. The song comes in at the end. Instead of paying attention to the movie, I'm thinking to myself, "Oh my god. What a creepy song. Wait. Is that 'Mad World'?

The song is stunning. The first time you hear it, the piano(courtesy of Michael Andrews) will haunt you for days. The song has been featured in many TV shows and commercials since 2001, most notably A&E's 'The Cleaner', and 'CSI'. XBox 360 had a very successful ad campaign a couple of years ago using the song for it's 'Gears of War' game. But for me, it will always remind me of 'Donnie Darko'. Hope you enjoy the song, and I hope it haunts you too until you have to pass it on to someone else.

0 comments: