Follow Me

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It Gets Better/Love Is Louder

I'm at a crossroads when it comes to It Gets Better and Love Is Louder videos.  It seems that the whole thing has jumped the shark in a sense.  The Trevor Project reports that they have received over 500 It Gets Better video submissions so far, and MTV is getting every D list celebrity to do a Love Is Louder video.  Today, I had a Love Is Louder video in my inbox from Snooki and JWoww from Jersey Shore.  What wisdom can they impart?

While part of me has the attitude of "more is merrier", I see an It Gets Better video from a straight celebrity and I think, "What experience can they speak from?  How is a gay kid going to look at Anne Hathaway and think, "She knows where I'm coming from."?"

As a blogger, I have decided to lay off from forwarding the videos on from the net.  I am especially going to limit the messages from the Love Is Louder campaign.  Most of their videos are from people on their reality shows and their network personalities.  It's almost as if they are requiring their employees to make videos for the campaign, which, if that's the case, it's a completely bullshit campaign anyway.

I will still show those videos that I think are heartfelt and have the potential to be truly inspiring.  There are hundreds of people that have recorded their experiences in order to help LGBT youth that feel like they're alone and have nowhere to turn.  When I was a teenager, I was a questioning youth.  I was so lost.  I thought about killing myself on a daily basis.  I wish I would have had access to something like this back then.

As a bisexual adult, as a blogger, it's my duty to publish these stories for others to see.  It's my responsibility to tell others that it does get better, someday, somehow, whether you believe it or not, it does.

0 comments: