Follow Me

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fuck Families. Leave 'The King's Speech' Alone


I am truly disgusted that they've re-edited the language out of 'The King's Speech' to make it more "family friendly".  It's a "docu"-drama, the docu part meaning documentary.

I heard that Speilberg is re-releasing a new family friendly, G rated version of 'Schindler's List' to be released this summer.  This time around, Hitler and the Nazi's browbeat and give stern, disapproving looks to 6 million Jews instead of putting them in concentration camps and killing them.

Oh, and Oliver Stone announced that he's releasing a PG rated version of 'Platoon', where Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, and Willem Dafoe go to Vietnam and pass out cupcakes to all of the Vietnamese soldiers.  It took three years of CGI work to make it happen, but now his vision can be seen by the entire family.

Do movies that are somewhat "historically based" HAVE to necessarily be family friendly?  Yes, 'The King's Speech' won the Oscar for Best Picture, but part of that was because of it's honesty.  Part of that honesty was the things that made it an R rated movie.

As the parent of a two year old, let me say, "Fuck families.  Leave 'The King's Speech alone."

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't disagree with you on most films. I'd not let me 10 year old watch Schindler's list anyway, or Platoon. But The King's Speech was a great movie, sweet, historical, a good story. But for a couple of Fuck's and I'd let my 5 year old watch it (if I had one), and I'd be thrilled to let my 10 year old watch it. I'd cringe if my 10 year old watched it with the current language in it, another version and my child could watch it and problem is solved. I try not to let my kids grow up too fast. That is really hard to do in this universe, but I try. They'll learn Fuck. They'll learn the power of it. They'll use it. Probably with me some day, or against me someday. But does it have to be now? Can we delay that as much as we can?

Just another perspective. :-)

Rachel said...

And another perspective, heh, my 3 year old already says Fuck, and uses it very well! It's violence that we don't let her watch. Hee!