Follow Me

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Incredible Shrinking Twitch

As some of you know, since this whole "mystery illness" thing started, I've been losing a lot of weight too.  Just how much weight is a bit shocking.

I see a number of doctors for various conditions I'm dealing with, whether it be my Tourette's Syndrome, or just my primary physician.  In late October/early November, I weighed about 379 lbs, depending on which doctor's scale I stepped on.  My weight has fluctuated anywhere from 340 to 375 for the better part of the last 10 years. I have worn a size 4XL t-shirt since my sophomore year of high school.  I have always been a big guy.  In my adult years, I have gotten used to it.

This is a picture of me standing outside a fitting room at Target on Tuesday.


I am wearing a 2XL t-shirt, for the first time since the sixth grade.  That's almost 25 years, people.  Last Tuesday, I was at a doctors appointment and was weighed at 317 lbs.  This Tuesday, I weighed in at an even 300.  I haven't weighed 300 lbs since 1989, during my freshman year of high school.  Granted, if you look at the shirt, it's way too short for me.  Even a standard 2X shirt isn't made for someone that is 6' 4 1/2".  My wife took my measurements last week.  Since November, I have lost roughly 10 inches on my chest, and probably 6 inches on my waist.

In a sense, this is wonderful.  I really needed to lose the weight.  But, this is really freaking me the fuck out.  I have lost 80 pounds, by doing NOTHING, in 4-5 months.  That comes to 22% of my body weight.  I haven't changed my diet at all.  I haven't exercised.  I lost 17 pounds just in the last WEEK!!!  Something isn't right.  My fingers have even gotten skinnier to the point that I need to resize my wedding rings.

Doctors have ruled out Multiple Sclerosis and Lou Gehrig's Disease.  With all of the MRIs, CT scans, and blood work done, I would think that they would have found cancer, especially if it was on my spine or brain.  What else could be giving me all of these weird symptoms. 

1 comments:

Casey said...

You look great, but you're right--it is scary that it's happening so fast and you still have no answers. I wish I knew how to help you.