Follow Me

Friday, April 1, 2011

I'm Taking Some Time Off From My Blog

It has been a rough March.  Since the 7th, I have been in the hospital a total of 4 times, spending more than two weeks in a hospital room.  I have spent approximately 10 hours inside of an MRI tube.  I've had 3 CT scans, an EEG, 2 EKGs, an EMG, a myleogram, and a spinal tap.  I was in the hospital last night because I had pain in my spine so bad that I couldn't swallow or breathe without my spine hurting.  I was given two shots of morphine and  it did nothing.  They sent me home in the same amount of pain that I walked in with.

I'm going to have to go back to the hospital, tomorrow.  I'm having complications from the spinal tap.  I'm running a fever and have a migraine that gets worse when I sit up or stand up.  The radiology department at the hospital says I need to get a "blood patch" to relieve my migraine.

I haven't been able to walk for three weeks.  My symptoms are getting progressively worse by the day.  I have had a loss of bowel control off and on for the last two weeks now.  My upper body is so week, I can't lift a two pound weight.  I have a constant pain that goes from my tail bone, up my spine, and out my arms to my fingertips.  My arms are so sore and weak that I can't cut food with a fork or sign my own name with a pen.

All tests have come back negative.  I have no nerve damage.  No brain damage.  I don't have Multiple Sclerosis or Lou Gehrig's Disease.  I don't have Guillain-Barre Syndrome.  All blood tests and lab results on my spinal fluid come back normal.  Mayo Clinic sent me home saying there was nothing wrong with me, and now, my neurologist, the doctor who was my biggest advocate, has given up on me.  I have nowhere to go.

I have been spending 24/7 lying on my back in bed lately.  I am in too much pain to even lean up to look at my computer, or turn over on my side to type.  I don't have the energy to keep up at the moment.  My brain is so fried right now between pain meds (which don't work) and pain, and all the other bullshit at the moment that I have to deal with right now, I don't have the ability to focus on the blog the way that I used to.

You may see the occasional fluff piece about a music video or just a simple picture with a one or two sentence intro, but what used to take me 15 minutes to write is now taking me over two hours.  Words that used to come quickly to me, I have to look up on thesaurus.com.  I used to write because it was an escape for me.  Now, it has become grueling.  By the time I have an article written, the subject isn't in the news anymore.

I'll try writing again when I start feeling better.  Thank you all for keeping up with the page and with the updates.  I'll be back. 

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Adam, I hope they figure this out, it sounds so rough. I'll be thinking of you and enjoying what I can get! Get well soon!