Follow Me

Friday, September 24, 2010

New Gay Character On Glee?

Vanity Fair recently interviewed Chord Overstreet(yes, that's his real name) for the scoop on his role as Sam on this season of Glee.  Sam is the new kid in school who becomes quarterback of the football team after Finn gets booted.  He's also the new recruit for the school's glee club.

The rumor floating around the web is that Sam is also going to be Kurt's new love interest this season.  If true, they're poised to be TV's most prominent gay characters since Will Truman and Jack MacFarland.  They would also be good role models for young people in the LBGT community.

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Now, of course, the question everyone wants to know is if the rumors that you will become Kurt’s boyfriend on the show are accurate?
I actually don’t know that yet. We get everything an episode at a time. As of what we’ve shot now, they haven’t revealed anything about my character in a relationship way. But I think we’ll find out soon enough.
What about off the show? Any chemistry between you and Chirs Colfer?
(Laughs.) There’s a chemistry between everybody on the show. It’s weird because they’ve kind of all known each other for a year, there’s a bunch of inside jokes that I don’t get yet. You feel a little on the awkward side about jumping in with a new cast that really know each other. But everyone’s been cool. Chris has been really cool. Dianna (Agron), Corey (Monteith), Mark (Salling), Kevin (McHale). They’ve all been super cool.
So we don’t know what future episodes hold, but what if that is the case? When I spoke to Dianna Agron recently she said that one of the joys of working on the show is opening the scripts and discovering all the crazy stuff that’s about to happen. How would you feel if you opened up a script and found out you’d be playing a gay love interest?
It would just be one of those things where you have to do what the material says. The writers have a different twist for each episode. I signed on to do my job, so I need to do my job the best I can. I don’t know if I necessarily would take my work home with me! But if that was the case, I’m sure it would be fun. I mean, I’ve done a couple scenes with Chris so far, and he’s a talented guy, so I’m sure it would be a fun thing. Acting wise.
There is rumored to be man-on-man kissing. You’d be down with that?
I don’t know if I would be totally down with that outside of work. I’ve never kissed a guy before. But it’s acting. It’s kind of one of those things. Currently you have to kiss a bunch of strange people in the world of film and television.
You have to kiss a bunch of strange people?
Throughout your whole career, there’s a bunch of people you might have to kiss. Say there’s this character opposite you, and you might not be into her—or him, personally. You just gotta’ do it. That’s your job.
And beyond? You’re willing to go full Brokeback?
I have no idea. I’m going to say, no comment. I’m going to dig myself in a hole.

He's totally straight in real life....LOL.  Here's a clip featuring Chord from Tuesday's episode.  He's a pretty good singer.

0 comments: