Follow Me

Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Received My First View From Egypt

My first blog post was on September 11, 2009.  Since then, I have written 452 articles for this site.  I have had thousands of page views from dozens of countries.  Of course, the majority of my readers come from the United States and the United Kingdom.  I also have quite a few coming from Canada and Australia.  Last week, I had a viewer from Ghana.  Two weeks before that, Kenya.  I have always found it interesting to see who is reading what I have to say.

As you know, Friday was a momentous day for the people of Egypt.  They finally had a taste of freedom after 18 arduous days of protesting in the streets.  I spent much of the afternoon watching the celebrations unfold on CNN, or on my computer on Al Jazeera, with one of the most genuine, heartfelt smiles I've ever had in my life.

At about 4pm my time, or 1am Egypt time, I checked the viewer stats on my blog.  Someone from Egypt had just been reading one of my posts.  I can't tell which one for sure, but I was able to see that they reached my page via Google Egypt.  Based on the traffic sources, it looks as if they were looking for pictures or tweets regarding the protests from earlier in the week, since they now had internet service back up in the country.

I know in actuality it's nothing. But for me, it's a big deal.  I don't get a lot of readers.  Some days, I'm lucky if I get 100 in 24 hours.  So, I'm humbled when one of the 92 that read my blog yesterday is possibly someone that was in Tahrir Square just hours before.  I'm glad that I was available for that man or woman, and I hope they got the information they needed.  Congratulations on your liberation.

If by chance you read this, I would love to speak with you.  Write me.  Leave a comment.  It comes to my personal email inbox before it gets posted.

Thanks for stopping by.

0 comments: