Follow Me

Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Look Back On Some Of The Best National Anthems

In about 90 minutes, Christina Aguilara is scheduled to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl in Dallas, Texas.  With her raw talent, she is sure to give one hell of a performance.  Over the years, there have been a number of artists, for better or worse, that come to mind when the National Anthem is mentioned.  Whether it's Jimi Hendrix's epic instrumental rendition at Woodstock in 1969, Roseanne's crotch grabbing disgrace, or Whitney Houston's emotional chart topping rendition in the 90s, they all stand out for their own reasons.

Yahoo Music compiled a list of what they felt was the 10 worst, and the 10 best, renditions of the National Anthem.  The ten worst are TORTURE.  I won't put you through watching any of those videos.  Let's just say there's a reason why Scott Stapp's voice can scare away a pack of wolves.  Here are a couple of their ten best:

#5 - Josh Groban with Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers


It was really interesting to hear Flea, who is normally known for going all out on bass, mellowing out and gently accompanying Groban's powerful and traditional voice softly but with purpose.  Very beautiful.



#4 (Personally my #1) Marvin Gaye


What can I say.  Classy.  No one could have done it better.  No one has done it better since.





#1 The Dixie Chicks


This was just a couple of months before they came out publicly against the Iraq War and George W. Bush.  Their careers in country music practically disappeared since then, due to the backlash they received from much of their fanbase.  Their performance in three part harmony is nothing short of legendary.  Yesterday was the first time I had seen it.  It brought tears to my eyes.



Growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, I was never allowed to stand for the National Anthem.  It is something that conflicts with Witness beliefs.  Now that I am out of the church, the National Anthem is something I do not take lightly.  I make sure I am early to sporting events so that I can be at my seat to stand for the National Anthem.  I try to tune in to the World Series or the Super Bowl early to hear it.  I have a new sense of patriotism.  I don't take any performance for granted.  Coming out, it was one of the first songs I learned the words to.  I'm proud to be an American, and I'm thankful for Francis Scott Key's contribution to our country.

Update:  So...Christina Aguilara screwed it up big time this afternoon.  Don't get me wrong.  She sounded awesome, she just couldn't remember half of the words.  She completely left out the line, "O'er the ramparts we watched".  Then, later in the song, she tried to combine two lines by singing, "What so proudly we watched", instead of "What so proudly we hailed".  How embarrassing.



1 comments:

tom sheepandgoats said...

Alas, she murdered it, and had to apologize the next day.