Follow Me

Monday, July 25, 2011

2009 Awake! Says 'No One Should Force You To Choose Between Religion And Family'

In what can only be described as the ultimate in hypocritical advice, the July 2009, 'Awake!' magazine tells their potential converts that no one should bully them into their beliefs.  Take a look at this paragraph.  Image courtesy of Saved From The Watchtower:

"No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."
Evidently, what's good for the goose is not good for the gander, in this case.  Of course, no one should force you to worship as any religion  other than Jehovah's Witnesses.  But as one of Jehovah's Witnesses it's perfectly acceptable for the organization to intimidate and threaten their followers to continue to worship as they believe.

If you are a Witness, and later decide that you no longer believe their doctrine, or that being a Jehovah's Witness just isn't for you anymore, your friends and family members have no choice but to shun you.  If they don't, they're threatened with the possibility of being kicked out of the church themselves.

Speaking for myself, I haven't seen most of my immediate family in almost six years.  My father has never seen his granddaughter.  My mother has only seen her once, when she was 8 months old.  My little girl turned three in May.  I have found out about relatives of mine that have died, only from reading obituaries online.  I probably won't even get a phone call when my parents die.

Oh, but don't make us choose between our religion and our family.  That's not fair.  What bullshit.

0 comments: