Follow Me

Monday, July 18, 2011

Borders Announces Liquidation

At 4:10PM, Borders announced that it plans to liquidate it's remaining 399 stores effective immediately.  Stores will start final liquidation sales as early as this Friday.


The move will put more than 11,000 out of work, 10,700 store employees and approximately 400 at their Ann Arbor, Michigan, headquarters.

The rise in e-reader sales, which Borders was a late adapter, coupled with rising competition from online retailers such as Amazon, are directly responsible for the slide in sales at the retailer.  It's a sad day when the nation's second largest bookstore goes out of business.  A very sad day.

1 comments:

Anonyvox said...

F and I were just at our local Borders a couple of days ago. When I buy books, I tend to buy them online. (I am HUGE about getting books from the library, lest you think I am illiterate.) I don't like to pay full retail for a new book. Can't stand it, so when we buy at Borders or B&N, it is from the discount stacks.

I've also noticed that used book stores are going out of business right and left, which is a true pity. I can hang out in a used book store all day long. And I have no interest at all in e-readers.