Follow Me

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Album Of The Week - Muppets: 'The Green Album'

When I was a kid, one of my favorite movies was 'The Muppet Movie'.  I have seen it dozens of times.  I think everyone my age has.

As 'The Great Muppet Caper' and 'The Muppets Take Manhattan' came out, I started to lose interest.  Once the "Muppet Babies" came into the picture, I called it quits.

I was 24 when 'Muppets From Space' was released.  Regardless, I have still seen it 30 times or more.  There is something unique about Muppet humor that makes you want to watch it over and over again.  That is why I was delightfully surprised when I saw this trailer while on IMDB a few weeks ago:



The movie even has Jason Segel and Amy Adams in it.  Has anything negative EVER been said about those two?

Well, on Tuesday, the soundtrack for the movie was released.  It's called Muppets: The Green Album.  Let me tell you, don't pirate it...buy it.   It will be the best $12.99 spent on a music purchase in a long time.


The album is a compilation of various covers of famous Muppet songs by modern artists.  The artist selection practically comprises of the "hipster elite",  only lacking Arcade Fire.  With Weezer featuring Hayley Williams, OK Go, My Morning Jacket, The Airborne Toxic Event and Sondre Lerche, the album isn't nearly as pretentious as it may seem.  In fact, it's actually quite pleasant.  It's very nice to be able to hear a song that brings you back to your childhood, without feeling like a child.  At 36, I prefer not to be sung to by a puppet, thank you.

Youtube sensations OK Go open the disc with the 'Muppet Show Theme Song'.  It's a decidedly different, and more modern take on the song, and I think it works.  The video is quite funny.  You have to watch it all the way to the end.  Many of the jokes are parodies of gags from previous OK Go videos.  So, if you haven't seen any of their other videos, odds are, you won't get some of the gags.



There are two songs that stand out above the rest on the album.  The first is the cover of 'The Rainbow Connection' by Weezer and Paramore's Hayley Williams.  Weezer's Rivers Cuomo was born to sing this song.  It is if Jim Henson wrote it with him in mind.  Cuomo embodies the hippie mentality and the wild-eyed innocence of Kermit the Frog, better than any musician that has ever attempted to sing the tune.  In all honesty, as soon as his voice came through the speaker, tears filled my eyes.

Williams on the other hand....not so much.  On her solo portion of the song, her voice is dull and blank.  It's almost like hitting the key on an old piano.  Fortunately, she only sings a couple of bars by herself.  The harmonies between Rivers and Hayley are very nice.  All in all, it makes for a very nice song.  One of the best covers of the tune I've heard yet.

Take a listen for yourself:



Singer and violinist Andrew Bird does a lovely version of 'Bein' Green'.  The violin adds a very nice touch to an already meaningful song.

If you would like to preview the album before you buy it, NPR has a webpage available that is currently streaming the entire album for a limited time.  Or, you can buy it at the link below.

0 comments: