Follow Me

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Today Is National Coming Out Day


If there is someone in your life you could safely tell, today would make a great excuse to break the ice.

I publicly came out two years ago today, in an article on this site.  I firmly believe that you should never be forced to come out of the closet.  You should only do so when you are at a point in your life where you feel safe and secure enough to do so.  (I was 34 when I came out.)

On a personal note, coming out was the most freeing feeling I have had in my life.  It was as if a two ton weight had been lifted from my chest.  Your life changes so dramatically once you're out.  It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Be safe, and remember:  Whether you them or not, there are millions of people supporting you.

0 comments: