Follow Me

Friday, September 30, 2011

Quick Spine Update

I had an appointment with my surgeon this morning.  Fortunately, the incision on my back stopped bleeding the day before yesterday, so that was no longer an issue.  There is no need to worry about an infection, from any of my incisions.

I have a small hematoma on my back, where the incision had started to heal, but was continuing to bleed a little internally.  It's nothing to worry about.  It should dry up on it's own in a matter of a couple of weeks.

X-rays were taken of my spine this morning.  It was the first time I had seen an image of my spine since the surgery.  I have a huge gap where my disc used to be.  The plastic graph didn't show on the x-ray, but you could tell that the procedure really opened up that space, compared to what it used to look like.  It was also interesting to see the screws sticking into my vertebrae.  They were easily three to four inches long.  They looked more along the lines of thick masonry screws than something that should be used in a surgical procedure.   I am truly "Bionic", now.

My doctor told me that I no longer have to wear my back brace, unless I want to wear it as a matter of comfort.  Wearing it is an easy way to remind myself of how I'm supposed to move, and how I'm not supposed to move.  I still cannot bend, twist, or lean to the left or right for another three months.  I am also not allowed to lift anything more than 5 pounds.  I am allowed, however, to sit upright for as long as comfortable for me.  Previously, I could only do 10 minutes at a time.  Playstation, here I come.

While today's news is wonderful in the way that I now have more freedoms, I realize that I still have a long way to go.  The four hours spent out of my bed getting ready, in the car, at my doctor's office, and then, having lunch with my wife (OMG, you have no idea how nice that was), has rendered me bedridden for the rest of the day.  I have to remember, "Baby steps, Adam".

"Baby steps."

0 comments: