Follow Me

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Video: The World's Youngest Preacher

The National Geographic Channel is planning on airing the following footage at some point in the future.  It shows four year old Kanon Tipton of Grenada, Mississippi, preaching at his father's Pentecostal church.  His father claims that he is "moved by the Holy Ghost".  I say, along with many others, that it's a matter of imitation and brainwashing.  You be the judge.

It is a bit of a lengthy clip, more than eleven minutes.



A couple of key quotes from Kanon's father that I picked up during the clip:
"It's not brainwashing.  It's training.  It's only brainwashing when it goes against your morals."
 And...
"I believe that god gives him the words to say, even though it's simple and we can't put it together."
Interesting take on brainwashing.  Of course, that is the point of view from the washer.  Let me give you a perspective from someone that was also brainwashed into a religion.

I gave my first "sermon" at church at the age of four.  It was on a Tuesday night.  I was enrolled in what is called the Theocratic Ministry School.  It is where Jehovah's Witnesses give regular sermons in front of the congregation, and receive constructive criticism as to how to improve in their speaking abilities.  The goal is to essentially create the perfect door to door foot soldier.

My first sermon was five minutes in length, and was a review of the Gog and Magog prophecy of Ezekiel chapters 38 and 39.  I had no clue what I was talking about.  It was solely coaching by my parents and memorization.  From what I told years later, even while reading the entire two chapters of Bible text (I was reading at three), I was looking up from my Bible and staring at my mom.

So, is this little boy "filled with the Holy Spirit", like his dad believes?  Or is it much more likely that this is a little boy that really wants to make his mommy and daddy proud of him, and enjoys the praise and attention that he receive from his dad?

Call me a skeptic, but I'm guessing the latter. 

0 comments: