Follow Me

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Must See: Children's Book Based On Bowie's 'Space Oddity'

Canadian illustrator Andrew Kolb has created one of the most fascinating children's books I have ever seen.  Based on David Bowie's rock classic, 'Space Oddity', it tells the story of Major Tom and his ultimate demise in outer space.  The book contains the song's original lyrics as the story, with vivid illustrations to help bring Tom to life.


'Space Oddity' was released just 10 days before the Apollo 11 lunar landing.  Though it was intended to be somewhat of a tongue in cheek insult at the failed British space program, the BBC used it during news coverage of the event.  In time, it has become one of the most iconic songs in music history.

At the moment, Kolb has not found a publisher for the book.  It is not even clear as to whether Bowie has seen it.  He does not have permission at this time from Mr. Bowie to publish it.  Hopefully, in time, that will change.

In the meantime, you can download a PDF of the book, at no charge, from Kolb's website.  I read the story to my three year old before bed time tonight.  She didn't like it.  She thought it was too sad.  She asked me to read Angelina Ballerina, instead.

For the last three days, since reading this book, I have had this song in my head.  I know you will, too.  I hope this helps.


Update:  Talk about bad timing.  It appears that the downloadable PDF of the book has been taken down.  Word is, there is a possibility that Kolb may have received a cease and desist from Bowie's lawyers.  That didn't take long.  

I am looking at a work around at getting a full copy of the book online from other sources.  If I am able to do so, I will post accordingly.

Update 2:  I have just taken a look at his site, and it is now so altered, that all text is blurred out, including the title of the book.  In fact, the site name is now "space book", instead of "space oddity".  Just sad.

0 comments: